I love Thanksgiving! I cooked my first turkey and stuffing when I was 16 years old. From there, I added to my Thanksgiving Dinner responsibilities yearly by taking on more and more side dishes and desserts. Somewhere along the way I started making a root vegetable casserole as part of my traditional Thanksgiving dinner. And this Root Vegetable Casserole recipe is my Nutrivore take on my old recipe.
Root Vegetable Casserole
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or oil of choice
- 1 onion sliced into half moons
- 1 pound summer squash or peeled zucchini, diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 teaspoon salt plus more to taste
- 1 cup parmesan or romano or sharp cheddar cheese, divided (optional)
- 4 pounds root vegetables (use at least 4 different kinds, such as sweet potatoes, any variety of winter squash, green plantain, parsnip, carrot, boniato, etc.), diced into 3/4” pieces, about 10 cups
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Heat 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat, then add onion. Cook, stirring occasionally until browned, about 10 minutes.
- Remove onions from the skillet and place in a 9”x9” casserole dish; set aside. Add another 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil and add summer squash to the pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and cook 2 more minutes.
- Add broth and wine to the summer squash. Simmer until liquid reduces by two thirds, about 15 minutes.
- Carefully pour the contents of the skillet into a blender. Blend on high for 30 seconds to 1 minute, until completely smooth.
- Add salt and ½ cup cheese. Stir until cheese is melted. Taste and add extra salt, if needed. You want this sauce to be a little salty.
- Toss diced root vegetables with caramelized onion in the casserole dish. Pour the sauce from the blender all over the root veggies. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
- Bake uncovered for 50-60 minutes, until root veggies are fully cooked. If the cheese is starting to burn, cover with a lid or foil. Let sit for 5-10 minutes before serving.