When it comes to grains, oats are in a league all their own. They are inexpensive, easily accessible, and versatile, working well with both sweet and savory ingredients. Which makes this Double Berry Swiss Oatmeal a breakfast staple!
And while oats only have a Nutrivore Score of 208, the overall Nutrivore Score of this Double Berry Swiss Oatmeal is upped by the addition of dried mulberries and currants, as well as fresh mixed berries!
Bonus: this rendition of overnight oats can be made the night before so your breakfast is waiting for you in the refrigerator when you’re ready to eat in the morning. Score!
Double Berry Swiss Oatmeal
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1-1 1/2 cups water or milk depending on how thick you like it
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- ¾ cup Greek yogurt or coconut yogurt
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or nuts or seeds of choice
- 2 scoops unflavored whey or pea protein powder optional
- 1 small Granny Smith apple grated or finely chopped
- 1 banana sliced
- ¼ cup dried mulberries or sub dried cranberries
- ¼ cup dried currants or sub raisins
- 1 ½ cups fresh berries for serving
- Drizzle of maple syrup for serving optional
- The night before serving, combine oats, chia seeds, water, salt, yogurt, walnuts, and protein powder, if using, in a medium bowl with a lid.
- Carefully stir in the chopped apple, banana and dried berries.
- Cover with lid and chill in the refrigerator overnight, or at least 2 hours.
- In the morning, top with fresh berries and a drizzle of maple syrup, if desired.