This Strawberry-Basil Salad with Toasted Pecans is the perfect salad to enjoy when summer basil is in full bloom. Strawberries are also available in abundance during the same time. Many people are familiar with the classic tomato-basil combination. However, the strawberry-basil combination is another delicious yet lesser known combination. Basil has a Nutrivore Score of 3381, which makes it a super nutrient-dense food! It’s particularly high in beneficial phytonutrients and vitamin K. Lucky for us it’s one of those herbs we can find pretty much year round, so we have the opportunity to eat this salad throughout extended seasons.
Strawberry-Basil Salad with Toasted Pecans
- 1 cup pecan halves raw
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 cups stawberries sliced
- 2 cups fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place pecans on a rimmed baking sheet or in an oven-safe skillet. Toast in the oven for 6-7 minutes, until fragrant. Remove them from oven and let the pecans cool to room temperature on a small plate.
- Whisk or blend balsamic vinegar, olive oil and mustard together in a medium bowl.
- Add basil leaves and sliced strawberries to the dressing and toss together. Divide the salad into individual servings and top with toasted pecans.