In need of a gluten free pie crust that is just as good as the original? Look no further! This crust replaces wheat flour, with a Nutrivore Score of 66, with cassava flour which has a Nutrivore Score of 224, making it both gluten and grain free, and also more nutrient-dense.
Gluten Free Pie Crust
- 2 cups cassava flour
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup cold lard or unsalted butter
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 5-6 Tablespoons ice cold water
- Mix the cassava flour and salt in a mixing bowl. Add the lard, then use a whisk or two knives to cut the lard into the cassava flour until the mixture resembles dry oatmeal; the largest pieces of lard should be no bigger than peas.
- Add the apple cider vinegar and then the ice water 1 tablespoon at a time and work it into the dough. Stop as soon as the dough easily holds together.
- Roll out immediately or wrap in plastic wrap and store in the fridge until needed (will keep for at least a week).
- Use as you would for any recipe that calls for pie crust!